Thursday, December 16, 2010

W25 D5 - diagnosis

Yesterday morning I had my shoulder xrayed and ultrasounded and got the results in the afternoon, then saw my doctor today. It turns out I have a big tear in my supraspinatis tendon - the rotator cuff. It wasn't at all what I was expecting (I thought I had frozen shoulder) and at first it really threw me. The thought of a ripped tendon made me really nauseous too. But by the time I woke this morning I was at peace with it. It is good news, I think, in comparison. It needs to be looked after, like a newborn kitten, but it feels like part of me again.

Since there was no trauma to my shoulder and the pain has been gradually increasing over 5 or 6 months, I assume it was originally a little tear that has gradually got worse. My doctor and I are taking the conservative treatment option first: rest and gentle physio, then a cortisone injection if I need it. Only if there is no improvement over a long period will we look at surgery. I am already back on anti-inflammitories which are helping with the pain of the inflammation in the joint.

Of course it severely limits my exercise. Some authorities recommend a sling to immobilise the shoulder so it gets proper rest, but there is a danger of frozen shoulder. Better to just be careful. I can't do anything that uses or jerks the arm. So walking seems the best option at present. Outside or on the treadmill at the gym.

2 comments:


  1. I have always been curious about the cortisone shot. Especially because you always hear about professional athletes getting them. Good luck with your race (and injury).
    Regards
    Cortisone Injection

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been curious about theFrozen Shoulder Injection shot. Especially because you always hear about professional athletes getting them. Good luck with your race (and injury).
    Regards
    Frozen Shoulder Injection

    ReplyDelete