Friday, July 6, 2012

Quitting Weight Watchers

Saturday:

I have been on the Weight Watchers program for five months now, and I wrote a post two months ago saying that I was going to stick with it even though my weight loss was so slow - slow is better than nothing, right? Well over the past week I have been rethinking that decision, and this morning I cancelled my membership.

My lowest weight was nearly two months ago, with a cumulative loss of 3.4 kg. A loss of around a kg a month was slow but still enough to keep me paying the $69 a month. But since then my weight has bounced up and down with no significant loss. This week, after some very indulgent eating, my weight went back up 2.1 kg (4.6 pounds) in 5 days. My total cumulative weight loss over five months with WW is now 1.2 kg.

I'm not blaming WW, I'm sure it works for many. I am the one who makes every decision about what I put in my mouth and how much I exercise. But clearly it is not helping me. It has not inspired me enough to lose weight.

So what is next? Well, I joined the gym last week and I am going to focus on exercise for a while. I need to improve my body fitness. Twice this week I have woken with a very sore upper back, I don't know why, and today I can hardly move my arms without wincing because it pulls on my back muscles. Obviously they are so out of shape that even turning over in my sleep can strain them. I want to feel healthier and sleep better. I don't want to wallow in junk food (like I did this week) but I do want to relax about what I can and can't eat.

All my weigh-ins will now be at home. Today I was 78 kg. I touched 75 kg twice in May and I still want to get back down to that as a first step. Maybe I should stop weighing myself every day. Dunno. But my plan is to exercise a lot. It is school holdiays now and very cold outside but I'll be dragging the kids along to the gym, creche when Gecko isn't on. Can't this weekend as I don't have the car, but hopefully it will warm up enough for us to go to the park and run around this afternoon. Maybe I can lose some weight without feeling deprived and miserable. And a failure.

Arg, I am still clearly focused on my weight. I need some NSVs (non-scale victories). Want to get fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment