Monday, October 29, 2012

Running and eating

Tuesday:

Sunday was another quiet day, no exercise at all. Played with the kids, did housework, relaxed. I have no excuse for not fitting in some exercise, I had all day.

Yesterday I had another training run scheduled, and this time I was determined to actually run as much as I could. I was busy in the morning -- including getting some inserts for my running shoes to try to minimise the shin pain problem -- and by lunchtime it was too hot to be exercising outside, so I waited until Tim got home and went out at 7 pm. I'd just had dinner, but that didn't seem to be a problem.

I can't really comment on whether the shoe padding helped as I was running on grass at the oval, I didn't have much shin pain but I don't think I generally do on grass. I ran each straight of the track and walked each curve; and after every lap I moved in one lane so they got slightly shorter each time. I did pretty well, I think. I tried to "run", not "jog" -- I think I need to remove that word from my vocabulary -- and keep my head up and stride smoothly and everything else. I did eight or nine running segments then walked the rest.

It was supposed to be a 45 min session, plus 5 min warm up, but I headed home a bit early. It was starting to get dark; and after the guy practicing his longjump into the sand left, and the last dog-walker disappeared, I was all alone in the gloom which got a bit scary. I did one sprint in a homewards direction then back to the safety of civilization and well-lit streets. Overall I was pretty happy with the session.

Our weekly D&D game had been moved to Monday this week so yet again I was faced with a table full of junk food. And I went to town on it. I provided watermelon and did have some of that, but I also had jelly snakes and chocolate and Burger Rings. Burger Rings and Twisties (two of my favourites) are the worst kind of chip for me because they are so highly processed they are super high GI. I shouldn't have them at all. (Potato chips are better, and corn chips like Doritos are the best in terms of GI -- of course they are all just as fattening.) This morning I guesstimated how much I'd had, and (not including the watermelon, which I fogot about) it all worked out to nearly 1000 calories and, worse, about 125 grams of carbohydrate -- mostly high-GI. I try to keep it around 30-45 grams of carbs per meal/snack. I tested my blood sugar last night and it was 9.0 mmol/L which is bad. And that is even after some great exercise, which helps lower my blood sugar. I can't keep doing this to myself. Last week it was 10 point something. People bring stuff, but I don't have to eat it.

My legs were a bit sore after the run, I think running is pretty hard on the body. And when I got up in the night to pee my ankle was hurting again. It's still sore this morning, and I've got the ankle support back on. Maybe running just isn't the right exercise for me? I'm still determined to do this race on Sunday, then we will see.

picture of burger rings by Kaptain Kobold

No comments:

Post a Comment