Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Diamond Beach

Tuesday:

I just spent the first week of 2013 having a lovely relaxing time at Diamond Beach with my family. We stayed at a "resort" (I don't know if the owners of the establishment use the same definition of resort as I do, it consisted of reasonably nice cabins with two swimming pools and one restaurant/cafe) about 15 mins drive from the increasingly touristy coastal town of Forster which is about 3 1/2 hours north of Sydney.

Generally each morning we would walk over the dune to the beach -- it wasn't a patrolled one and not safe for swimming but great for sand castles, collecting shells, and running away from the waves squealing -- then after a while back to the more interesting of the two swimming pools until lunchtime. After lunch was inside time away from the sun, then another swim or putt putt golf (mini golf) or the patrolled beach and into Forster for dinner at one of the many restaurants. We had some really great meals. Actually we ate out twice every day but one. I don't think I particularly overate; dessert once a day, a couple of ice creams, a couple of cocktails over the whole period. Still, I have probably gained a little weight, we'll see tomorrow.

Not much exercise, a little walking and splashing around in the pool. The weather was lovely for swimming without being so hot I couldn't leave the air conditioned cabin (this is a pretty narrow window for me) but it was too hot for any real work-out. We were very vigilant about sun screen and staying inside in the middle of the day but you can't spend hours every day in the sun with skin like mine (or my daughter's) and completely get away with it. About half-way through I burnt the tops of my feet a bit which made shoes tricky.

Today we drove home through one of the worst heat waves Australia's East Coast has ever had (luckily our car has good air conditioning). There are bush fires all over the place, and apparently the school oval (only a block away) had a grass fire today, although Tim couldn't find it when he went up to investigate. Some places are approaching 50 degrees C.

It was a lovely holiday, but it's good to be home. I am really looking forward to a good night's sleep in my own bed, and getting back into some kind of food and exercise routine tomorrow.

I can't seem to add the pretty picture of the beach, so you'll just have to close your eyes and imagine it. White sand and crystal blue water and don't forget the frolicking dolphin.

No comments:

Post a Comment