Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Or not

Wednesday:

I can't get a refund on that race without a medical certificate and going back in time a week. So now I don't know. I could just walk it. I like walking. But if I'm going to be in a race with people running all around me, I am going to want to run a bit. And if I'm going to run (on and off) then I should probably train for that.

It's only two and a half weeks away. Maybe six training sessions. I guess I'd rather do six unpleasant training sessions so that I can run a little better in the actual race, and not be disappointed in myself like I was last weekend. So I'm taking back the quit until after the 5K.

My thinking was also influenced by Biggest Loser (Australia) last night. We're only two weeks in and they had to do a half-marathon! Well, in relay. Tied together in their parent/child pairs, everyone had to run one 3K lap and then the team could decide who did the extras -- some pairs ended up doing 9K. Generally there was one person in each pair (sometimes the parent, sometimes the child [over 15 yrs old]) who was a lot fitter and/or more determined, and one who lagged back on the tether. One young man got really frustrated with his dad who wouldn't jog much. It made me think about how much I would like to be able to run. To start and be able to just keep going.

Week 2 of the C25K training involves running for 90 seconds. I can barely do 60. I've already done week 1 twice. Do I just keep doing week 1 over and over? Push myself into week 2 and do what I can? Forget the C25K and just do my own long walks with a few bits of jogging thrown in?

We are going to the Royal Easter Show this weekend. Yes that will involve fast food and maybe one showbag (the kids are allowed one each) but also lots and lots of walking. And watching burley men chop down trees. And seeing dogs herding sheep. And petting baby chickens. And seeing giant murals made out of fruit and vegetables. And cheering on the girl trick-riding. And criticizing the judges for not picking the prettiest goat. And maybe the kids getting to milk a cow. I love the Show!

No comments:

Post a Comment