Sunday, July 21, 2013

Holidays!

Sunday:

We just got back from a few days away it Sydney. It is less than 4 hours drive away, but we left near-freezing temperatures and sleet (there was a chance of snow today, apparently) and enjoyed sunshine and walking around without even a jumper on! The difference between the coast and the mountains, I guess.

We started on Thursday with an afternoon at the Australian Gymnastics Championships, at the Sydney Olympic venue. I thought Aiden would enjoy it as that is his chosen sport (six hours of coaching a week) but he was completely bored. The next day rain was forecast so we hung around the city. We went to the Museum of Natural History, ten-pin bowling in the afternoon, and walked and walked and walked. I was exhausted and went to bed at the same time as the kids.

Saturday we went to Taronga Zoo. The Sydney Zoo is pretty special as it is on a steep hill overlooking the beautiful harbour. More walking! (You start at the top.) But first you get a fun ferry ride over the harbour from the city. At the end of the day the kids wanted to go on the cable car so we walked back up to the top and rode down to the ferry over the top of the zoo. While passing over the elephant enclosure we saw one of the elephants urinating. Apparently they drink around 120 litres a day and it looked like she let it all go at once. The kids thought it was hilarious, the absolute highlight of the holiday. And it distracted me from my terror of heights.

I was in bed by 7.45, before even Jasmine! Tiring day.

Finally today we saw family before driving home. My niece Emma is 4 months old now.

We did a lot of eating. We had hotel buffet breakfast twice, and restaurants for dinner but only light meals at lunchtime. I wasn't able to do my carb-loading, (perhaps "wasn't able to" is an exaggeration), I didn't want to have pasta every night and toast for breakfast instead of bacon! And at my sister-in-law's for lunch today there was only roast pumpkin which I don't like. So I will be starting my three days tomorrow, and doing the test on Thursday.

I'm feeling rested after the time away, although it was physically more demanding than my usual lifestyle. Mentally rested, perhaps. I did have some allergy headaches, though, and I am really looking forward to my own bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment