Saturday, December 13, 2014

All about the anacondas

Sunday:

Only a couple of days to go on dietbet. 600 grams (1.3 pounds) to lose. Because of the time difference I can weigh in any time from Tuesday night to Thursday night - but I'm aiming for Wednesday morning my time. I've already been very good all week, with great success so far. I am going to have two very strict, very low carb days and see how I go. Down to the wire!

Since I'm not hosting Christmas this year and all my shopping is done for both presents and food contributions (except for helping my husband finish buying for his relatives, but he is nearly done too after a big shopping weekend), I am in a low-stress Christmas mode. Apart from my sick mum (obviously a big stress) the only thing I have to worry about is how to fit all the presents and food and boxes of crackers (those things take up a lot of space!) in the car. But we manage it every year, tucked under the kids' dangling feed or perched on laps. Everyone but the driver gets packed in! We have put a few presents under our tree and it looks exciting and very festive.

I've been listening to music by Rock My Run while exercising, often tracks I don't usually hear. That Nicki Minaj song Anaconda is weird. The rapping guy saying he isn't interested in sex with a girl unless she has a huge butt? I sure hope everyone is turning down his "anaconda" with an attitude like that. Shallow much?

But then I listened to the lyrics of "All About That Bass" and I don't think it's any better. She sings that she is not a stick figure silicone barbie doll or photo-shopped, which is fine (although possibly skinny-shaming), but then "I got that boom boom that all the boys chase" and her mamma told her "Boys like a little more booty to hold at night." So it actually has the same message as Anaconda. Be this exact shape so that boys will want to have sex with you. Great message for my ten year old daughter.

I realise that being attractive to the opposite sex is actually biologically imperative - to propagate your genes - and there is nothing wrong with wanting to look good. But I just don't like the message that your physical shape is all about attracting random sexual partners. Not about health, or feeling good about yourself, or being fit. And there is no hint that sex is about more than physical attraction, that there is/can be/should be also aspects of love and companionship and security for future children and all sorts of other things. The female body is just there to attract as many anacondas as possible, apparently.

That is my rant for the day! Maybe I'm not getting enough carbs...

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck on the DietBet!! I hope you win! Excellent analysis on those lyrics. As a father of two daughters, I agree--the messages are not good. All About That Base has some good points--but agreed, it also contains some less than desirable messages. It is a catchy pop song, for sure.
    Enjoyed your rant! Rant on, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your Diet Bet! I've always been too afraid to do one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! Wrong message....I like to be healthy bc is feels sooo good, and I'll live longer (hopefully)..

    You're on the right track!!!

    ReplyDelete