Monday, February 23, 2015

A bit of shade

Monday:

Today my exercise was walking, and I made it to 10,000 steps. I certainly didn't feel like exercising at all after another bad night (even though it wasn't as hot, the fresh sheets were neatly tucked, and I'd exercised that day which is supposed to help). But "don't want to" is not a valid excuse, so I went out. It was very hot, but luckily there were some nice shaded bike paths.
Still, I was hot and sweaty by the time I got home from my morning walk. In the afternoon we walked up to the school for a parent/teacher meeting and that was a lot hotter! At least it got me to my step goal.

I changed my mind about giving up Plant Nanny, I just lied to it about how much I weigh so it tells me to drink 8 glasses. But that got me thinking, I've read blogs written by people 400, 500, even 700 pounds. How many glasses of water is a 700 pound man supposed to drink? 50 glasses a day?

Aside from my walking in the heat, I worked on my new novel. No actual words added to the official count, but notes written and a lot of thinking about what is going to happen in chapter one to start the story. I may have fallen asleep while thinking with my eyes closed, but I got some work done before that.

Report card:
Diet: Great, within calories and more fruit and vegetables today.
Exercise: Good. Not high intensity but plenty of it.
Water: Good.
Sleep: Poor.
Mental health: Good.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Natalie, I'm a new reader on your blog. But I almost drop you from my blog list... complaining about heat sheeeesh, it's winter in my up-over land and it's cold, with the wind chill factor it's so cold we have to bring ice in to warm them up LOL

    That's a really good question, how many glasses of water a person that is over 500 lbs need to take... let me NOT find out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard, thanks for reading! Sorry about the heat complaints, I have heard a rumour that not everywhere in the world is in the middle of summer right now but I'm not sure I believe it. Also, I've only even seen snow a couple of times in my life, on visits to our highest mountains (such as they are) so I can't imagine what that kind of cold would be like.

      Delete
  2. The standard for "how much water does a body need" is this.....
    Cut your body weight in half and that's how many ounces of water one needs to keep their body hydrated.
    For instance...for easy math....if a person weighs 200lbs, they need 100 ounces of water per day.
    I usually get between 100-125 ounces of water per day. It is all I drink, I gave up all soda a year ago, never drank alcohol or coffee or tea. Not a juice fan, so for me....I can get lots of water. I know when I cut down for whatever reason, I feel sluggish and crabby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did manage to fit in my 12 glasses most days for a couple of weeks, going by that formula, but I just had to pee so much it was disrupting my life! And I calculate a 500 pound person would need 30 glasses - that seems like an awful lot. Anyway, I was perfectly willing to try it but I don't think it was quite right for me. I only drink soda, juice or alcohol on very rare occasions; I do have two cups of tea but otherwise it's all water with a squeeze of fresh lemon. I'm going to see how I feel with 8.

      Delete
    2. There's also a lot of different foods that are very high in water content...so, of course, not all hydration has to come from a glass of water!
      High water foods: cucumbers, iceberg lettuce, celery, radishes, tomatoes, green peppers, cauliflower, watermelon, spinach, star fruit, strawberries, broccoli, grapefruit, baby carrots, cantaloupe.

      Delete