Monday, March 30, 2015

The Stand

Monday:

So much better today! I still seem to be a snot-producing machine, but I feel much more myself today. Took it easy, did a little work and lots of reading. Another early night is on the cards.

I was wondering today if the difference between my normal and my sick is similar to the size of the difference between my normal and a fit healthy person's normal. Imagine feeling that much better, all the time! Something to aim for.

Sorry I don't have much to talk about. I've spent the last few days re-reading Stephen King's "The Stand" which is about a superflu killing off 99.4% of the human race and what happens afterwards. Possibly poor timing on my part, reading about everyone dying of similar symptoms to what I was experiencing!

The book came out around 1980 I think, my goodness that is a long time ago, so obviously the discussions of technology etc are old, but the thing that really struck me are the outdated ideas about pregnancy. One of the main characters gets pregnant out of wedlock and her mother completely freaks out (to be fair that would still happen today in some cultures, just not mine), there is a discussion about not having sex after the four month point of pregnancy or they might "squash" the baby, a doctor says alcohol is fine when pregnant as long as you drink in moderation, childbirth with the mother's feet up in stirrups like in the Monty Python comedy movie (mother: what do I do, doctor? Doctor: nothing, madam, you are not qualified), a newborn baby is put one of those wards you only see in movies - the babies all together behind a glass wall and the parents only able to look through and not touch (or breastfeed) their own child except at designated times... crazy.

6 comments:

  1. NEED TO REREAD THAT.
    <3 <3 <3 THE KING :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you to get back to normal... well there is that snot producing system you still have but you are getting better!

    I might be the only person on earth but I have never read a whole Stephen King novel. I stated a few but I dropped them all... maybe I should try the stand, I enjoy doom day books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always a good thing when you are getting better. And I hope you continue on this road.

    I read this book a long time ago but I can hardly remember anything. I should give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big Stephen King fan. I was actually in the film "graveyard shift" which was a screenplay from his work. It was filmed up in Maine in a very small town where I used to live. My favorite is the gunslinger series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great claim to fame! I don't usually like horror but I'm a big fan of King because he is a great writer who really makes you care about the characters.

      Delete
  5. Hope the snot goes all the way gone, soon.

    ReplyDelete