Thursday, December 17, 2015

Planning Christmas

Thursday:

Tim drove Jasmine back to Canberra so she could attend the Yr 6 graduation dinner at her old school with her friends. When we originally planned it I thought the kids would still have school here but it actually finished a day earlier in NSW, so Aiden and I could have gone and met up with some people without him missing any school here. But he didn't want to and I didn't either really. I've had enough of those long drives for the moment. They drove all the way home after, getting here after midnight (I'm writing this next morning).

I spent part the time planning my Christmas/Boxing Day menu out properly and writing shopping lists for the days leading up to it. I'm hosting Christmas lunch and Boxing Day lunch for around 17, and taking a dessert to Christmas Dinner in the evening. I still need to make my timing list, I find this invaluable for complicated cooking. What to cook in advance, then on the day when to put the turkey in, when to start the potatoes etc. Makes sure nothing is forgotten. It takes a lot of stress out of the day if I can just look at my list and see 11:55 slice the baguettes.

Aiden made paper aeroplanes and chattered away, and in the evening we watched TV together and got to bed in good time.

My mornings are so early. I don't them to be, and they don't need to be. I wake most mornings around 5am, it is still dark and quiet. I try to get back to sleep for a while, give up after an hour and get up once it's light, sit reading or playing with my phone and feeling braindead until everyone else wakes up and I can go and have a shower - I don't want to wake the rest of the house earlier. Sometimes I crawl back into bed at some point but very rarely get back to sleep. I generally feel too exhausted to go for a walk then or do anything else. Why am I waking up so early! It certainly isn't because I've had enough sleep!

We are all saving Star Wars for Boxing Day, looking forward to it.

2 comments:

  1. We don't really have boxing day here in America. It's usually on most calendars here, but that's just because Canada does it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know what the "Boxing" part means or what we are supposed to be celebrating/doing! But some shops are open with huge discounts for those who like to shop (not me) and the rest of us recover from Christmas, eat leftovers and maybe go to the beach. It's my husband's father's birthday so we always get together again, usually wherever we had Christmas because that is where the food is, and play with our presents some more.

      Ok I just looked it up, it is British and it's the day you give cash or presents to the lower classes, after "equals" get theirs on Christmas Day. You give boxes of food to tradespeople etc. Interesting. I think most Australians would say it's because you have to get rid of all the boxes and wrapping paper from Christmas!

      Delete