Sunday, December 13, 2015

World of Warcraft

Saturday:

In between sessions of unpacking (which didn't progress as far as I'd hoped, there is always more left than I thought) we played World of Warcraft. We have enough computers and devices that we can all now play together as a team. Tim and I have often played as a team of two, but now the kids have joined us! World of Warcraft is a computer game, an mmo (massively multiplayer online) which means people all around the world are playing at the same time and you can see their characters and interact with them while you are fighting the bad guys (fantasy world, trolls and dragons etc, something like watching a Lord of the Rings movie where you are the hero). Most of the game is set up for one person but there are challenging parts where a team of five is optimal so we nearly have that with just us. Of course these early levels are very easy but remember we're playing with a nine year old boy who likes to have his character run off ahead. I have chosen a character who can magically heal people so I'm trying to keep my family safe. It was a lot of fun.

Sunday:

This area has been very quiet so far, until last night. Our neighbours had a party and the music was so loud! In our house with all our windows closed it was like being inside a nightclub, I hate to think what it was like over there next to the speakers. I guess they were in the backyard. Aiden's room is closest and he couldn't sleep. I went to bed late because I knew there was no point trying. The noise stopped around midnight. If I didn't have children I wouldn't have cared, but there are lots of kids in this street who wouldn't have been able to sleep. Tim could have gone over there to talk to them but we decided not to. It was just a party, a rare event, on a Saturday night before Christmas. If you can't party then, when can you? But it was just so loud!

Today was much like yesterday, unpacking alternating with World of Warcraft. Then dinner at my brother-in-law's. A very nice weekend.

5 comments:

  1. It's hard to believe how long it's popularity has lasted. I know Everquest's popularity lasted longer than the 2nd game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WoW must be 12 years old at least, I started playing when Jas was a baby and it wasn't new then. I think they peaked at 8 million players a few years back and still have about 5 million. They put out lots of expansions and new content, and it's just a really good game.

      Delete
  2. Have you ever played Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft? I am addicted to that game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried it but wasn't very good. My husband is totally addicted and plays it all the time! He wants an iPad for Christmas so he can play it on the train during his commute to work.

      Delete
  3. It is hard to believe that I started playing almost 9 years ago. At the time, I started playing because my 12 year old son was playing and I wanted to see if I think it was an OK game for him to play. He and I ended up playing together a lot and his Dad soon joined in. We really enjoyed playing together so much.

    9 years later, our son is 21 and doesn't play WoW any more, but his Dad and I still play a lot. It is a really fun game.

    Oh, and Hearthstone is great. Just requires some practice to get good at it. It really helps to go watch some youtube videos.

    ReplyDelete