Friday, March 11, 2016

No vegetables

Friday:

Those tablets seem to be still working, which is awesome, so now I am back to my baseline of obese woman who doesn't take good care of her body and doesn't like hot weather. Actually no one is getting much sleep around here with the horrible humidity. Looking forward to those cooler rainy days forecast for next week!

I had a bit of a "funny turn" earlier. I used to have bad reactions to either low blood pressure or low blood sugar, not sure which, but not serious or often since my diet improved. But today I got home from shopping rather late for lunch and really hot, was warming up leftover Indian food in the microwave while unpacking groceries, suddenly felt really shaky and strange and had to sit down. Ate some quick carbs then lunch, kept trembling for an hour afterwards. It's another reminder I'm not looking after myself in the truest sense. I need to give my body nourishment not just sufficient calories. When I'm not "on a diet" I eat more junky food but more importantly I eat a lot less healthy food. My fruit and vegetable intake goes down to almost zero.

Yesterday for example I think I ate grilled cheese on toast for breakfast; roast beef and potato for lunch; a Paddlepop (ice cream) in the afternoon; crumbed squid, beef vindaloo (meat in spicy sauce) and rice for dinner. A couple of chocolate biscuits. Three cups of tea. I don't think any of those things are particularly bad in themselves, but the menu is definitely missing a lot of things I should be eating. Like vegetables in a variety of colours not just white bread, white potato, white rice as my only plant foods. I'm not doing myself any favours. But I'm having a lot of trouble turning this around.

I did have some salad with dinner tonight! Will do better tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. I am the same. My calories are often spot on, but getting them to be nourishing calories and not empty processed calories is my problem. I keep thinking, just eat real food, but I rarely do it with the time constraints of my schedule. Work in Progress I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't have the time constraints excuse! I'm a stay-at-home mum/writer so I should have time. But I manage to find excuses anyway.

      Delete
  2. The grilled cheese on toast got to me yesterday too !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is a quote from "Treasure Island", Gunga Dinn has been stranded for years and when rescued says "many's the night I've dreamed of toasted cheese." I can relate!

      Delete